Monday, July 20, 2009

Archives: Peace. Please


Peace. Please


Today, March 30, 2009, we just found out that a co-worker and a friend was unfortunately one of the many people who died in the Naga accident last Saturday dawn. We, especially the ones who knew him at work, were utterly devastated that we keep on kicking and screaming inside, asking why he had to go. He was a good man and I say this not because he already passed away but because he truly was. I secretly praise him deep inside by saying “Thanks” and complementing about the meal he serves in the cafeteria. Manong Rey was a cook in the school I am working at. Now, it is so hard for me to fathom the fact that he is gone. Still, I am trying to placate the physical and emotional violence that I’ve witnessed and feel. I grieve for Manong Rey and those who died and I grieve with those families who were left behind. As they say, it is hard for the one who leaves but even harder for the ones who are left behind. I, of course, cannot fully feel the pain of those people but I truly sympathize for their plights.

At the same time, I search within and outside me reasons for this randomness. I find some but they are feeble and they don’t hold up to logic. I pray for all their souls. May God bless them, I know He will. Understanding this event is somewhat hard to accomplish. Then again these are the times when we are being asked by our Lord to trust than understand. I trust God. I trust that he has reasons we may someday know. I pray why but I don’t demand for answers. As Truman Capote best quotes it “There are more tears shed in answered prayers than in unanswered ones.”

I was supposed to name this article “Violence,” supposed to scold and yell at those reckless drivers endangering the passenger’s lives. But this I will not do today. I am too hurt. There will be a time of dressing-down but today I wish peace and serenity even with the presence of grief. Manong Rey, wherever you may be now, you are loved by everyone here and may you finally meet our creator in Heaven. Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment