Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Gossip Generation




“Haven’t you heard? I’m the crazy bitch around here,” declares the ever famous or infamous Blair Waldorf to Georgina in The CW's hit teen show Gossip Girl. I am now an official fan of the show after I rejected it in its first season saying it’s just another teen drama mechanized by Hollywood T.V. moguls. Little did I know that the show had some style and zing and the cast ensemble is ridiculously good-looking and talented.


The show is about the residents from the upper-east side of New York and this gossip central powered by today’s myriad of technology: cellphones, internet and other gadgets that keep you connected all the time. Elite teens, adults and people around them live lives full of fun and zest. Of course, as the title suggests, this show has generated a lot of backbitings, sex, lies and of course gossips. Critics are saying it’s too lewd or it’s over glamorizing the residents in upper Manhattan. Well, in fairness to the show, I think I have seen some improvement from the first season to currently, its third season. Characters are more matured and fleshed out and there has been a balance of bitchiness and blessed moral values. And the interconnection of stories? Preposterous at times but it’s a ton of fun. How can I complain?


I can say that although most of us are not inhabitants of the eternally energetic New York City, the show reflects our lives and how much time we sometimes consume discussing about other people’s lives. Enter the gadgetry we have today which aids us to communicate to almost anyone at anytime of any day. Social Networks are sprouting everywhere in the web and we are forever attracted to socialization that is why we always sign up to these sites. I myself have a Friendster, Flickr, MySpace, Blogger, Twitter and Facebook account and to think I was maybe one of the three unsociable people in High-school. Now, I am highly sociable and very expressive, thus, I have a plethora of social networks, mostly established in the web. These networks help me see more of the world and of course, contact my friends and family. Sometimes, hard for us to admit, we abuse the net by talking about other people and situations they are in. There are already so many victims of social network misuse. These felonies range from petty crimes such as posting something bad about a person on Facebook or something much worse like killing just for some comment posted on the web. I would like to think I have learned my lesson well from this and wish that we all use these hi-tech social systems for the good…but a little fun and gossip wouldn’t hurt now, would it? Then again, maybe yes.


Yes, contest all you want, but we are the gossip generation. With no epic war or no life threatening issues similar from past generations, we sometimes channel ourselves into anything that will not wrap us up in ennui. I myself had been caught up with my lies and deceit and had a fair share of backbiting and volcano-erupting quarrels. It gets tiresome in the end though. At the end of the day, all you really want is peace. After all, you blame others for ratting you out but at one point you’ve also told secrets you shouldn’t have. We are all the same. As long as we always reset our moral compasses then everything will be all right.


You might ask “Who is Gossip Girl?” In the show, Gossip Girl is a cute, little, bitchy voice over. During one episode, almost every character wanted to get even with her and take her down. But they then realized that they were Gossip Girl. The accumulation of all the gossips they’ve sent to Gossip Girl gave her a life of her own. So they all make up, make peace and make something more fruitful in their lives. Or so I would want to believe. And don’t you ever say that Gossip Girl is just a girl. Even G-Dragon from Big Bang proclaims “Pay attention please. I am Gossip Man. XOXO!


No comments:

Post a Comment