Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mr. Pang (Puhnnng)!


We had a blast early morning today as two Vietnamese students joined us for a sumptuous breakfast at our house. We were laughing our hearts out while eating a hearty meal and joking about Vietnamese intonation and speaking patterns. Linh, one of the students matched an action to an utterance of a Vietnamese person's name. I suddenly, theatrically, acted out a short skit about what happens if all names had a matching action and it was hysterical. We laughed our hearts out! It dawned then upon me that it was probably one of the best times of my life. And it didn’t involve buying anything or spending money. And so I thought of my ambivalent attitude towards material things. I attempted to say that the best things in life are free. You don’t need to have much money to be happy. But then Samuel L. Jackson popped in my mind saying “Those people who said money can’t buy happiness never had any.” I wish I could really be filthy rich someday and say the exact opposite.

- Sometime in December 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment